Saturday, July 01, 2006

Two Done

Once again, I have amazed myself by buckling down and getting done what needed to be done.

Chapter Two is done.

I have to say this chapter was a LOT harder to write than I had expected. I was so worried about the pologue and chapter one, that I never even thought about two.

See, with the first bits, you put yourself under all that pressure to get it started the "right" way. You know, with the right amount of plot, and character explanation. You want to hit the reader with just the right amount of info and excitement to make them want to invest their time and get involved in the lives of these characters. You want them to want to read more.

Well, I did that. I think fairly successfully.

THEN! (And this is the part I never thought about.) I had to FOLLOW IT UP WITH SOMETHING.

I realized that chapter two is the hardest chapter to write because you've done the hard bit, and the exciting bit, and now you have to follow it up with a chapter that probably won't have a lot of plot going on, but will have a lot of description, but all before the momentum really starts to get going. And you still have to hold the reader's attention.

It's kind of like the second number that you do in a show. You know, the one that follows the big excitng opening number. How do you choose the second number? It has to have just the exact right amount of energy, but not as much as the first, and not as much as the act one finale.

Chapter Two is the tough one.

But I finished it.

In about an hour, no less.

Which makes me realize that each chapter basically has a time value, for me, of about three and a half hours. Maybe four.

Now, I will say that I didn't quite hit my word count for this chapter, which should be 4750. I came in at around 4150, which means I'm alreay about 600 words shy of reaching the ultimate goal of 57 000 words at books end.

Oh well, chapter one/prologue was over 5000, so I guess I'm still technically on track.

And besides, when I wrote what was to become the last line of chapter two, I kind of knew that it was done, and that I wanted to leave the reader right there, because it would hopefully make them want to read on into chapter three.

The cliffhanger. Where would we be without that.

I guess all those years of watching soap operas has finally paid off.

What's that line from "Gypsy"?

"Make 'em beg for more...and then don't give it to them!"

J.J

No comments: