Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One Step, Two Step

Just an update on my writerly status.

I am now officially a member of both Romance Writers of America (10 000 strong and growing!), and its local affiliate, Toronto Romance Writers.

I have been checking out the newsletters and magazines published by both organizations and I have to say I am finding it all incredibly interesting, and very informative.

I am more and more convinced of my choice to follow this path in my life.

However, there was a momentary hiccup when I opened my first issue of Romance Writers Report (from RWA National), and had the unpleasant experience of having the first letter-to-the-editor be a blatantly homophobic one.

I am debating writing a response. Since the writer of that letter was already responding to someone else's obviously NON-homophobic letter, I don't want to turn this into a tit for tat.

But really, it just upset me so much, I feel compelled to respond.

This is MY association, too. I paid my dues. I have the right to say something.

I'm just letting myself cool off long enough, so that I can create a non-shrill (the writer's words) repsonse. Also, a response that is about writing and not about homophobia. Also, we are not allowed to attack another writer directly.

Oh, well, after being raised by grandma, who could call you an asshole, and you'd never know it, I figure I can come up with something fairly cutting but still printable.

Until next time.

J.J

PS: Chapter Five is underway. Slowly. Gee, writing is hard!

No comments: