Friday, October 06, 2006

After WOTS

Word on the Street was a great experience.

I met several more of our members at the Toronto Romance Writers booth.

Also, I noticed an odd reluctance on the part of passers-by to openly talk about romance.

People seem embarrassed to admit that they like to read or write romance.

I think it has to do with the fact that ultimately the romance industry is about promoting love, joy, hope, and faith in something intangible.

Something that EVERYONE wants.

We live in such a cynical time, that I believe people don't want to been seen as "foolish" by admitting that they believe in something as seemingly simplistic as love or joy or hope.

WHY?

HOW have we arrived at such a place?

WHY is it foolish to be optimistic?

I would say it's BRAVE to be optimistic.

I have refused in my past to be closeted about a number of things. My homosexuality, the fact that I grew up on a pig farm, that I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and that I like cheesy pop music.

I again to refuse to be closeted about my love for romance, joy, hope, faith, and love.

Wouldn't we all be in a better mood if we believed that GOOD things can acutally happen?

Something to think on.

J.D

No comments: